To the Moon & Back Walking Challenge
Transforming Health‘s To the Moon & Back Walking Challenge is a free 12-week community challenge designed to promote wellness by encouraging participants to walk in honor of those on the frontline of the COVID-19 crisis: essential workers, healthcare staff, first responders and many others. It is a fun and effective way to increase your physical activity levels while at the same time show your support for our amazing heroes on the frontline helping us stay safe. Brought to you by WITF‘s Transforming Health, WellSpan Health and Capital BlueCross as part of their “Here With You” campaign.
Who can participate?
This challenge is open to anyone in the community. Any community member and or employee of participating employers can participate, including spouses, children, co-workers and or friends.
When is the challenge?
Challenge begins Monday, June 15 2020
Challenge ends Monday, September 7, 2020
What is the step goal?
The step goal from the Earth to the moon and back is 1,008,923,520 steps. We can do it! Let’s get walking! We know some days it can be easy or difficult to get your steps in, so our suggestion is to keep a personal daily and weekly steps goal.
NOTE: Participants are encouraged to complete at least 7,000 – 8,000 steps per day to meet the CDC’s recommendation of at least 150 minutes of moderate activity a week. If you haven’t exercised in a while, start slowly and work your way up to 7,000 – 8,000 steps per day. If you are an experienced walker, shoot for 10,000 steps per day. As a team, we can make it to the moon and back!
Walking Challenge Progress
What can I win?
- Each week, participants who are actively participating by submitting steps will be entered ONE time into a random weekly drawing to win a Transforming Health prize package including a yoga mat, water bottle and more!
- Each week, participants who are actively participating by submitting steps AND complete the goal of 70,000 steps that week will be entered TWO times into the random weekly drawing to win a Transforming Health prize package.
- Grand prize for the individual logging the most steps for the entire challenge: $500 to be donated to their favorite GuideStar certified charity organization.
- Grand prize for the team logging the most steps for the entire challenge: $500 to be donated to their favorite GuideStar certified charity organization.
- Employer with the most participants will be recognized.
- Most importantly, you win the opportunity for improved health!
*WITF, WellSpan Health and Capital BlueCross employees directly involved in helping to administer the challenge are not eligible to win prizes. WITF, WellSpan Health and Capital BlueCross are not eligible to receive winning charitable donations.
How do I register?
Registration is required to participate. Registration will be open for the entire length of the challenge, but please note by registering after the start date, you will have less of a chance to win the overall challenge prizes.
- Registration is free
- You must create a Challenge Runner account at the link below to sign up and participate.
- You can register as an individual or in a team.
- To create a team: enter the team name by selecting create new team. If your team has already been created by another team member, please select your team from the list. To participate as an individual: please “x” out of the teams box after registering. Do not select or create a team if you wish to participate as an individual.
- If you would like to sync a wearable device to Challenge Runner, you may do so by editing your profile on Challenge Runner. Visit your profile at the top right of the screen. Simply select your device from the list and click authorize or follow the listed directions for that device.
- If you are using a basic pedometer, you will simply log into the app each day or week and enter your step totals
Challenge Runner is a tool used to facilitate walking and wellness challenges. In the leaderboard, each participant can see where they stand in relation to other participants using real names. In the communication board, messages will be displayed from the challenge administrators providing you with updates and tips on the challenge!
What if I do not have internet access?
Unfortunately, internet access is required to be able to participate.
How do I submit my steps?
Record your number of daily steps taken individually into Challenge Runner by visiting the walking challenge page on ChallengeRunner and clicking the “Login” button or by using the Challenge Runner smartphone app. While it is recommended that participants log steps every evening, you MUST submit your steps each Monday by 11:59pm for the previous Monday-Sunday week to be eligible for the weekly prize package drawing. Please be honest in submitting your step totals.
NOTE: Certain wearable devices can be synced to your Challenge Runner account, so your steps are automatically uploaded for you each day! Select this option in your Challenge Runner profile.
How do I track my steps?
Participants may use a wearable device such as a FitBit OR a basic pedometer to track steps. Certain smartphones also have health and step tracking devices built-in through downloadable apps, where you can use your cell phone as a pedometer, if you have your phone on you all day.
Convert Other Activities into Steps
We understand there are other ways to be physically active, so please feel free to convert other physical activities into steps. Conversion charts are available online and most activities can be converted to steps using fitness trackers. Here is a free conversion chart provided by America on the Move: Step Conversion Chart
How do I promote this within my workplace to other co-workers?
If you would like to promote Transforming Health’s To the Moon & Back Walking Challenge within your organization, please email email@example.com or call 717-851-6179 to obtain more information.
Questions, Concerns, Ideas, Suggestions?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 717-851-6179. We are here to assist participants throughout the challenge.